Collecting your Personal Information
We will ask you when we need information that personally identifies you (personal information) or allows us to contact you. Generally, this information is requested when you are asked to register before attending an event, subscribing to email newsletters, completing an online survey, joining a limited-access portion of our website, viewing your own personal resource information, or when requesting information about other members of The Ellis School's community. If you are already affiliated with The Ellis School - either as an alumna, or as a parent, friend, or trustee, we have contact information for you on file.
If you elect to join our community by making a gift or simply by registering as a user on the portal section of the website, we will ask for some personal information. When you provide your personal information, a profile is created. We'll ask you to disclose your User ID and Password so that only you can access your profile.
To ensure we are publishing content customers need and want, The Ellis School collects aggregated website-visitation statistics using cookies. When someone visits the website, a cookie is placed on that person's machine (if the user accepts cookies) or is read if the individual has visited the website previously. The use of this cookie allows you to visit other password-restricted portions of The Ellis School's website – for which you have security access - without having to sign in again. If you choose to not have your browser accept cookies from The Ellis School's website, you will need to re-enter your personal information each time that you attempt to access website-protected information.
We may also collect other standard information that your browser sends to our website. This information may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and capabilities and language, your operating system, the date and time you access the site, and the website from which you linked to our site. We do not link this data to your identity.
Use of your Personal Information
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To make the website easier for you to use by not making you enter your personal information more than once.
- To help you quickly find information regarding The Ellis School, its alumnae and parents, and other services we provide.
- To help us create and deliver content most relevant to you.
- To alert you to athletic events, special events, volunteer opportunities, updated information and other news and information from The Ellis School.
- To provide support for the internal operations of the website or materials contained herein.
- To send you periodic emails informing you of changes and updates regarding the MyEllis website.
The Ellis School will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on The Ellis School.
- Protect and defend the rights or property of The Ellis School.
- Act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of The Ellis School students, visitors to The Ellis School's website, or the public.
Access to your Personal Information
We will provide you with the means to control your personal information and to ensure this information is correct and current. If you ever want to review, update, or delete your personal information, simply visit http://www.theellisschool.org/.
At this website you can:
- View and edit personal information you have already given us.
- Subscribe or unsubscribe to The Ellis School email newsletters.
The Ellis School has security measures in place to carefully protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Your personal information is never shared outside the company without your permission, except under conditions explained above. Inside the company, data is stored in password-controlled servers with limited access. However, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted over the internet. You have a significant role in protecting your information. No one can edit your personal information without knowing your User ID and Password, so do not share these with others.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
The Ellis School
6425 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Updated: May 2, 2014