Welcome to The Ellis School, Pittsburgh’s only age 3 - grade 12 independent school dedicated to the education of girls and young women.
Within a culture of respect, excellence, and support, our students lead in all areas of school life, building the foundation to lead in local and global communities. Girl by girl, we develop the mind, body, and spirit while encouraging independent thinking, leadership, a lifelong love of learning, and the honest pursuit of academic inquiry.
FAST FACTS 2012-2013
- Academically rigorous urban, independent, college-preparatory school for girls, founded in 1916
- Age 3 through grade 12
- Total enrollment: 440 students
- Small class sizes.
- Pre-K and K: average class size of 12
- Lower School average class size of 14
- Middle School average class size of 15
- Upper School average class size of 15
- Student-to-computer ratio: 2:1
- Faculty: 79. 59% hold master’s degrees. 11% have Ph.D.s and 2% have J.D.s
- 35% of students and 7% of faculty are people of color.
- Students represent 68 zip codes and 43 school districts.
- 33% of students receive need-based financial aid awards and scholarships.
- More than 50 Middle School and Upper School clubs are available to students.
- Every student engages in school-based service learning every year.
- A new student is assigned a “big sister” or “class sister” to guide her through the transition period.
- Parents volunteer time and talent throughout the school. An involved Ellis Parents Association (EPA) works to help the school in a variety of ways through volunteer programs and fund-raising efforts.
- Ellis has many options for transportation, including school bus service from 22 districts; van service from Mt. Lebanon, South Hills, Murrysville, Sewickley and the Northern Communities; and carpools.
- College counseling begins in the freshman year, and 100% of seniors go on to four-year colleges.
- More than 50% of each senior class earn merit scholarships for college.
- 21% of the Class of 2012 earned National Merit Scholarship recognition.
- The College Board recognized 49% of the Class of 2012 as Advanced Placement Scholars.
- College acceptances at Ellis are strong. Small classes, challenging courses, and top performance win attention and acceptances at some of the most competitive colleges and universities around the country. View recent college acceptances here.
ASSOCIATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
- Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
- Pittsburgh Consortium of Independent Schools (PCIS)
- The National Coalition of Girls' Schools (NCGS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)