Welcome to The Ellis School, Pittsburgh’s only age 3 - grade 12 independent school dedicated to the education of girls and young women. The mission of The Ellis School is to prepare, empower, and inspire each and every girl through an excellent education in an all-girls environment.
FAST FACTS 2013-2014
- Academically rigorous urban, independent, college-preparatory school for girls, founded in 1916
- Age 3 through grade 12
- Total enrollment: 410 students
- Small class sizes.
- Pre-K and K: average class size of 8
- Lower School average class size of 14
- Middle School average class size of 15
- Upper School average class size of 15
- Student-to-computer ratio: 2:1
- Faculty: 74. 61% hold master’s degrees. 9% have Ph.D.s
- 34% of students and 11% of faculty are people of color.
- Students represent 60 zip codes and 40 school districts.
- 35% of students receive need-based financial aid awards and scholarships. The School awarded $1.8 million in financial aid last year.
- Students engage in school-based service learning every year.
A new student is assigned a “big sister” or “class sister” to guide her through the transition period.
An involved Ellis Parents Association (EPA) works to help the School in a variety of ways through volunteer programs and fund-raising efforts.
Ellis has many options for transportation, including school bus service from 22 districts; van service from Mt. Lebanon, South Hills, Murrysville, Sewickley, and the northern communities; and carpools.
- College counseling begins in the freshman year, and 100% of seniors go on to four-year colleges.
- More than 50% of each senior class earn merit scholarships for college.
- 27% of the Class of 2013 earned National Merit Scholarship recognition.
- The College Board recognized 49% of the Class of 2013 as Advanced Placement Scholars.
- College acceptances at Ellis are strong. Small classes, challenging courses, and top performance win attention and acceptances at some of the most competitive colleges and universities around the country. View recent college acceptances here.
ASSOCIATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
- Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
- Pittsburgh Consortium of Independent Schools (PCIS)
- The National Coalition of Girls' Schools (NCGS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)