Welcome to The Ellis School, Pittsburgh’s only age 3 to grade 12 independent school dedicated to the education of girls and young women. The mission of The Ellis School is to prepare, empower, and inspire each and every girl through an excellent education in an all-girls environment.
FAST FACTS 2015-2016
- With a student-to-teacher ratio of 6:1, students across all divisions benefit from an intimate learning environment and individual attention.
- Academically rigorous urban, independent, college-preparatory school for girls, founded in 1916
- Age 3 to grade 12
- Total enrollment: 390 students
- 38% of students are people of color.
- Students represent 68 zip codes and 35 school districts.
- 37% of students receive need-based financial aid awards and scholarships.
- Students engage in school-based service learning every year.
- New students are assigned “big sisters” or “class sisters” to guide them through the transition period.
- The Ellis Parents Association (EPA) supports the School in a variety of ways through volunteer programs and fund-raising efforts.
- Ellis has many options for transportation, including school bus service from 26 districts; van service from Mt. Lebanon, South Hills, Murrysville, Sewickley, and the northern communities; and carpools.
ASSOCIATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
- Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
- Pittsburgh Consortium of Independent Schools (PCIS)
- The National Coalition of Girls' Schools (NCGS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)