Welcome to The Ellis School, Pittsburgh’s only age 3 to grade 12 independent school dedicated to the education of girls and young women. The mission of The Ellis School is to prepare, empower, and inspire each and every girl through an excellent education in an all-girls environment.
FAST FACTS 2014-2015
- Academically rigorous urban, independent, college-preparatory school for girls, founded in 1916
- Age 3 to grade 12
- Total enrollment: 385 students
- Small class sizes:
- Pre-K and K: average class size of 8
- Lower School: average class size of 14
- Middle School: average class size of 12
- Upper School: average class size of 15
- Student-to-computer ratio: 2:1
- Faculty: 68, of which 61% hold master’s degrees and 9% have Ph.Ds.
- 37% of students, including 5% who are international students, and 9% of faculty are people of color.
- Students represent 60 zip codes and 40 school districts.
- 36% of students receive need-based financial aid awards and scholarships.
- Students engage in school-based service learning every year.
- A new student is assigned a “big sister” or “class sister” to guide her through the transition period.
- An involved Ellis Parents Association (EPA) works to help the School in a variety of ways through volunteer programs and fund-raising efforts.
- Ellis has many options for transportation, including school bus service from 22 districts; van service from Mt. Lebanon, South Hills, Murrysville, Sewickley, and the Northern Communities; and carpools.
ASSOCIATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
- Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
- Pittsburgh Consortium of Independent Schools (PCIS)
- The National Coalition of Girls' Schools (NCGS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)